Saturday, November 29, 2008

So, you ask, what is the significance of 77?

Harrison was three before he spoke in full sentences. Affected by a neurological condition called Apraxia, words would come out and then disappear for months. We tried signing for a while but to no avail. The only thing Harrison would sign was I love you by patting his chest three times.

Numbers on the other hand seemed to stick. Harrison could identify numbers that we would write on his Magnadoodle into the hundreds of millions by speaking, and counting came before sentences.

One day, as we did all the time, Harrison and I were counting to 100. Careful always to watch how other peoples mouths moved when they spoke, Harrison was sitting across from me as I counted. When I got to 77 he started giggling. I began repeating 77 over and over again until the little guy was doubled over with laughter.

That same evening when I tucked Harrison into bed I said, "I love you, 77." He responded by patting his chest three times and saying, "77." So in our house "77" and "I love you" are one and the same.

3 comments:

Vicki Wood said...

I am in tears!!! I now know why "77" is important to your family.

Laura said...

I too, am in tears. How sweet is that?! Heaven is right here in our homes if we just take the time to feel it! Wonderful start to my week Carrie!

AUNT JANET said...

Carrie, your work here is beautiful. Whenever I think of you, in my mind and heart you are still that little blond-haired niece with eyes that constantly twinkle with mischief and has unending energy! Every time I see you I am reminded that little girl has grown up...then I look at Anna and see she still exists....just in a different body and time zone. 77 to you all!

Harrison Charles

Harrison Charles
"Promise me you'll always remember . . . You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" said Christopher Robin.

Anna Olivia

Anna Olivia
"I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean. Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens. Give the Heavens above more than just a passing glance, and when you get the choice to sit it out or dance . . . I hope you dance."

Ethan Paul

Ethan Paul
There are only two kinds of boys: dirty and not yet dirty!